A Blogger’s Version of 1 Corinthians 13

Note: This is not meant to be disrespectful to the biblical text in any way. Just an attempt on my part to remind myself of what this is all about.

If I blog with words that impress greatly and have the most beautiful blog template, but have not love, I am only a bunch of meaningless pixels scattered across the screen. If I have large numbers of readers coming to my blog, and hundreds of comments on every post, but have not love, I am no better than the blogger who has no readers at all. If I can exegete Scripture impressively and convince others of my theological perspective but have not love, I gain nothing.

A loving blogger is patient and kind. Love does not envy other’s site statistics, it does not boast in its own viewpoints, it is not proud of what it writes. Love is not rude to those who comment, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered by disagreements, it keeps no record of wrongs. A loving blogger does not delight in speaking or reading evil but rejoices with speaking the truth. He always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are blog hosts, their servers will fail; where there is heavy blog traffic, it will be reduced to nothing; where there is impressive writing, it will all be deleted from the file system. For we know in part and we write blog posts in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a beginning blogger, I wrote about trivial subjects, I jumped to conclusions about other viewpoints, I paid no attention to how I talked to others. When I became a mature blogger, I put beginners’ ways behind me.

Now we see but a basic representation of our words as on an old monochrome monitor; then we shall understand all of this theological truth in its fullest. Now I only understand a little bit about which I write; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: site statistics, creative writing and love. But the greatest of these is love.

This entry was posted in Christian Behavior, Scripture Interpretation. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to A Blogger’s Version of 1 Corinthians 13

1. Hi Steve,

What a beautiful analogy, especially in light of recent events. Your writing reflects your heart that you have shown in your blog dealings with others, and you are greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
    Terry

2. Hi! I thought your blurb about your blog on Gordons site was interesting so I stopped by and I am glad I did.

I very much liked reading the preaching series. It is my desire to be ordained and preach. Not sure I’m fit to be a pastor but if God called me I would do my best. I am thinking perhaps I’m to be an evangelist.

I think this post I am commenting in is brilliant. You must have given a great deal of thought to this.

I have thought the same things but never came up with the words as you have.

I have taken liberty with the same verses though. Try changing charity/love to God. This is exactly who God is.

I’ll have to ad a link to your site at mine. Hope you will stop by. I would value your opinions.

3. Larry Who says:

Lest you forget: The Blogger’s version of 1 Corinthians 14:1

“Pursue love, yet desire earnestly the best exegesis, but especially that you may write well.”

Thanks, Steve.

Galatians 5:6 …nothing matters except faith expressing through love.

5. Terry and Michael: Thank you both for stopping by. Terry, thank you for the link and for the private email.

I confess that I wrote this post so directed at myself that it never even really occurred to me that others might find it beneficial! It was a very rare moment of introspection on this blog, since normally I “think out loud” for the purpose of discussion. This one was just me preaching to myself! :)

Larry and ded, thanks for your comments as well. You both added good thoughts.

ded, we are really looking forward to fellowshiping with you tomorrow morning!!

steve :)

6. Susan says:

What a GREAT reminder about the impact a single blog (or blogpost) can make!! Thank you!!

7. Mynion620 says:

Awesome, Steve!!!

8. Gordon Cloud says:

Very nicely done, Steve. This is really challenging.

9. Lynn says:

A great way to use God’s Word to guide our thoughts and hearts as we post to our blogs. Many do not realize the impact they have on those who read them. Thank you for showing that you care. God Bless.

10. Susan, mynion, Gordon, Lynn, and bugblaster:

Thanks for your positive comments. I continue to be amazed at the response to this post!

God can definitely use the small things.

steve :)

11. AMEN!!!

Blessings,
    Amy

12. Mary says:

That was incredible. Thank you for the reminder to always reflect the Love of Christ – even in a blog!

13. Rose~ says:

I enjoyed this post very much. Thank you! I will try to keep this in mind. :~)

14. Amy, Mary, and Rose:

Thank you all for stopping by. Hope you all will stick around and participate in the discussions here. We have a lot of fun!

steve :)

15. flutemom says:

some very incredible thougths. you have such a (good) way with words. lots to think about in what you wrote. i wish i could always remember to reflect Christ in all i do and say……

16. flutemom and h k flynn:

Thank you both for adding your encouraging responses here.

I think this post definitely takes the cake for most responses from female readers! hehe

Jodie (h k), I’m interested to see how the debate with Frank turns out. Several have commented so positively on Frank’s blog about your spirit in engaging these topics, and so I imagine that you could have written this 1 Cor 13 post yourself!

steve :)

17. No new post so I’ll just wish you Happy Easter here!

HAPPY EASTER!

18. Barbara says:

Steve,
    This is beautifully written! You should start us a ‘Blogger’s Bible’ – translate the WORD into how a Christian blogger should be with our writings.

As Lynn said, many do not know the impact we bloggers have on people, as they read what we write.

19. Michael Pendleton, thanks brother! I hope your Resurrection Day was blessed. I am so glad that He is risen!!

Barbara, thank you for your kind comments. Not sure if I’m up for the “Blogger’s Bible” task, but it definitely is a good thing for us to learn to apply the Word to everything we do!

All, sorry there hasn’t been anything new here lately. I’m still working on the next installment of the Preaching/Teaching series, and have a lot of other things spinning around in my head, too. Hopefully soon…

steve :)

20. Barbara says:

We keep checking back for the next post. :)

21. I know, I know…I’m a lousy blogger! ;) hehe

22. flutemom says:

dear lousy brogger (that’s brother and blogger wrapped up together!), I’m glad you’re not really lousy, it’s just that we were so used to you posting rather frequently on here, so when we come back expecting our next delicious entree and the restaurant is closed…. well, it saddens our hearts (tummies?) just a bit. But we shall wait patiently for your next novel! love ya.

23. Barbara says:

Slow maybe,at times, but there is NO room for lousy on this blog! :)

24. Shane Becker says:

Love the 1 Cor 13 analogy. Posted it to my own blog (with full acknowledgement and link). Really good! Thanks (a beginner blogger)-
    Shane.